Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Unsettled TCK!
|Picture from the annual Christmas Fair in Alanya.|
|Mosque and a Christmas tree in harmony. Taken during the annual Christmas fair in Alanya.|
|Entrance to Alanya's annual Christmas Fair.|
|Trees, Santa, ships, shops, carol singers, and cookies at the annual Christmas Fair in Alanya.|
I am currently spending Christmas with my Gentleman Friend (I'm experimenting with his label) in Alanya and even went to Antalya to spend a couple of days in the big city. This is also the home region of Saint Nicholas, so clearly I am having the ultimate Christmas experience. I started thinking back over the years and came up with a list of where I've spent previous Christmases. Crank up the Michael Buble Christmas album and enjoy:
1. Calcutta - I think... I was a baby!
2. Taiwan - Don't remember this one either.
3. Beijing - My first memory of snow. I wanted to preserve this cold, white goodness so I stuffed a whole bunch in a bucket and stuffed it into the freezer. This was not a well thought-out plan.
4. New Delhi - My brother convinced me he was Santa Claus and my Grandma gave me a cotton candy maker. Pretty much the greatest gift ever for a child.
5. Ohio - Traditional Christmas with my American family. Kids running amuck and adults trying to keep the peace and provide a delicious meal.
6. Virginia - I got the first Harry Potter book for Christmas when I was eleven. I was crushed that I had already passed the age for receiving a Hogwarts letter. It was devastating.
7. Hong Kong - Many years spent in Hong Kong. Usually included some sort of extravagant buffet dinner and a whole lot of shopping.
8. Manila (and a few other cities in the Philippines) - The Philippines begins Christmas in October. It is quite an experience. If you spend it on an island then you are guaranteed lots of booze!
9. Xining - Ipad Christmas tree and a trip to Cafe Java (best cafe in the city). Here is my wonderful post from last year detailing my Christmas adventures: Happy Holidays from Xining (Yes, my love affair with Michael Buble has continued).
10. And now Alanya! - Already attended the annual Christmas Fair (post is forthcoming) and now planning on a (hopefully) fun-filled lunch with fellow expats. Best part is that I don't have to bake a turkey, which would be a bit of an over-kill for two people.
|My tribute Calvin and Hobbes snowman that I made for Christmas in Virginia a couple of years ago.|
Whether or not you celebrate, I wish you a wonderful winter season!